Databases are organised collections of information. The big advantages of databases are that they are:
- Easy to sort
- Easy to search
- Easy to edit the information
- Easy to change the way information is presented.
An introduction to Databases! Go Full Screen to see in greater detail?
You will carry out a series of exercises and become familiar with each of these advantages.
Your answers are completed in your progress grids.
View the Movie to see more about databases!
What you have to do!
- Click on the button to download a "zipped" folder that contains all you need for all the exercises.
- Make sure you've got "Save File to Disk" option selected.
- If you are using FireFox, the folder will be saved to your desktop.
- Move the "zipped" folder to your network folder.
- On an Apple double click on the folder to "unzip" it.
- On a PC:
- Right click on the folder, choose Extract All.
- In turn, click Next, Next and Finish.
- After unzipping, you'll be left with two folders.
- The original zipped folder. This can now be deleted.
- A new unzipped folder. This is the folder you'll be using.
At the end of this unit you should know
- What Databases are, and;
- How databases are organised (files, records and fields), and;
- The advantages of computerised databases over manual databases.
What you should be able to do at the end!