File formats& Types
Software is the term for all the programs and data that we use with a computer system. There are two types of software:
- Programs, which are the instructions that the CPU can carry out and
- Data, which is the information that the programs use when their instructions are carried out.
Examples of Program and Data files
- Word Processor Document
- Spreadsheet Manager Spreadsheet
- Paint Package Graphic
- Web Page Editor HTML (Web pages)
- Computer Game Saved Game
Program Software can be divided into two types.
- Systems software is the name given to programs that deal with how the computer functions. System software programs are used to organise the computer, handle its devices, manage memory, etc.
- Application software is the name given to programs designed to carry out manual tasks such as word processing, database management, graphics editing, etc.
System software refers to the operating system and to all utility programs that manage the way the computer works or how it is used.
What you should be able to do!
Explain the difference between Software and Data Files.
Identify the two main types of Program Software.